Interlibrary Loan and document delivery services are available to:
- UNT faculty and staff.
- Currently enrolled UNT graduate and undergraduate students.
- UNT retired faculty.
Interlibrary Loan Services are NOT provided for UNT Library Courtesy Card holders or other non-UNT individuals.
Document Delivery Services (Items owned by the UNT Libraries)
- Articles in journals
- A chapter from a book
Materials Generally Available for Interlibrary Loan (Items not owned by the UNT Libraries)
- Generally anything not owned by the UNT Libraries can be ordered. A request can be made if the Libraries' copy is lost, missing or at the Bindery.
- Theses and Dissertations are often available through the Proquest Dissertations and Theses Database (PQDT) in the Libraries' Databases. If the required item is not available via PQDT, an Interlibrary Loan request may be placed. Copies of dissertations are sometimes purchased from Dissertation Express (formerly University Microfilms International).
- Journal articles may be requested, however entire journals are seldom sent by other institutions.
- Newspapers may be borrowed only when available in microform.
Materials Difficult to Obtain
- Rare materials
- Materials in fragile condition
- Reference materials
- Complete issues of periodicals
Materials Not Available Through Interlibrary Loan
- Sound recordings
- DVD's and videos - Only faculty may request audiovisual items through Interlibrary Loan. To request an audiovisual item, use the book request form in your ILLiad account.
Submitting ILL Requests
The UNT Libraries use the ILLiad ILL management system to process ILL requests. ILLiad allows users to make their requests electronically, track the progress of their requests, apply for renewals, and view a complete history of their requests.
- Paper requests are no longer accepted.
- You must submit one (1) request for each item.
- Citations should be as complete as possible and abbreviations should be avoided.
- When requesting a book, it is important to supply the author's name as well as the edition or date of publication, if known.
- If an item is needed by a specific deadline, please indicate the date after which the item cannot be used. If the request cannot be filled by the needed date, it will be canceled.
- For "rush" or "panic" items, please contact the ILL staff for assistance.
Hint: One of the most effective ways to submit requests is via the “UNT Interlibrary Loan” Link that appears on an item record in OCLC’s worldcat. You must be on campus to see this link. (click image to view larger example)
Status of ILL Requests
To check the current status of your Interlibrary Loan requests, log into your ILLiad account. You may view:
- Outstanding requests
- Checked out items
- Cancelled requests
- History of all requests
- Email notifications
If additional assistance is needed, please contact the ILL staff.
Copies of articles and other types of materials are usually given to the patron. Books and other library materials must be returned by the date set by the lending library. Materials may be returned at any of the Libraries' Service Desks, at the Highland Street bookdrop, or at the UNT-Dallas Campus Library. All loaned items are subject to recall and are to be returned immediately. Patrons are financially responsible for items that are not returned, lost, or damaged. Replacement fees are non-refundable.
Most ILL requests can be filled within 2 to 3 weeks depending on the location supplying the item. Requests which require special attention or handling may take longer. You will be notified when the materials have arrived using the preferred notification method chosen when you created your ILLiad account. Materials are picked up at:
- Library Services Desk, 1st Floor Willis Library
- Eagle Commons Library Service Desk
- Discovery Park Library Service Desk, Room B112
- UNT Dallas Campus Library
A UNT ID card is required to pick up ILL materials.
Length of Loans
The return date is determined by the lending institution and usually varies from 2 to 6 weeks. Occasionally materials are sent "Library Use Only." These materials are not to leave the library. Materials picked up at the last minute will still be due at the time specified by the lending institution.
Loans must be returned by the due date. Failure to return materials on time jeopardizes the Libraries' standing with other institutions and makes borrowing much more difficult. If a book is overdue by 10 days or more, access to the request forms will be blocked until the overdue material is returned. All fines and fees assessed by the lending library will be passed along to the user. Failure to return books will also result in suspension of library privileges.
Please make every effort to complete use of the ILL material within the original loan period. If you need a renewal, please make that request BEFORE the due date. Requests for renewal for overdue material will NOT be made. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library. Only one renewal period is granted per title with the renewal period generally being 2 weeks.
While many schools and institutions charge or have set fees for borrowing materials, the UNT Libraries attempt to cover the cost of requesting materials for students and faculty. Every effort is made to borrow materials at no charge.
The copyright law of the United States governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Photocopies or other reproductions can be furnished only under certain conditions:
- Private study
Use of the reproduction for other purposes may make the user liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the request would involve violation of the copyright law. We will use document delivery vendors and the Copyright Clearance Center when possible.