If you are unable to locate an item on the shelf, you may request that we search for the item.
Before Making a Request
- Verify that you have the correct information about the item: correct call number, location, etc.
- Verify in the catalog that the item is not checked out. (It should say available)
- If the item is a book, score, or other item shelved in open stacks, look around where the item "should" be. It is possible the item is misshelved because of a mistake in grouping similar looking letters/numbers (O/Q, I/1, etc.).
- If the item is at the beginning or end of a row or shelf, look on the end/beginning of the previous/next row or shelf.
- Check the re-shelving areas for the item. It's possible the item was recently returned and hasn't made its way back into the stacks yet. There is a reshelving area located on each floor.
Making a Request
To make a search request you may do so at one of our services desk:
- A valid ID is required.
- Have information about the item such as the title & call number available.
- Library personnel will attempt to locate it for you by searching for the item several times. You will be notified when the item is available by email.