UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES, UNT. POLICY & PROCEDURE MEMORANDUM
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The University of North Texas Libraries are committed to information accessibility. Retrieving hard copies of items unavailable in the library catalog is made possible through a variety of services, including traditional interlibrary loan and commercial document delivery. As technology advances, the methods, formats and fees are subject to change.
Interlibrary loan is a process by which a library requests material from, or supplies material to, another library.
As defined by the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States, the purpose of interlibrary loan is to obtain, upon request of a library patron, materials not available in their local library.
Conditions of interlibrary loan service are set by:
- ALA Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States prepared by the Interlibrary Loan Committee of ALA’s Reference and Users Services Association in 1994, revised 2001. Revised 2008, by the Sharing and Transforming Access to Resources Section (STARS). Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States Explanatory Supplement was prepared in May 2008 to accompany the Interlibrary Loan Code.
- Amigos Resource Sharing Agreement.
- TexShare Interlibrary Loan Protocol.
- Section 108(g) (2) of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
- Guidelines for the Proviso of Subsection 108(g) (2) prepared by the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works (the CONTU Guidelines).
- Procedures pertaining to interlibrary loan activity promulgated by the State of Texas.
UNT faculty/staff, retired UNT faculty, enrolled and un-enrolled graduate students, and enrolled and un-enrolled undergraduate students are eligible to use interlibrary loan services.
- The lending institution decides the conditions of use, the due date, and whether or not to provide a particular item. Items may be restricted to library use only, prohibition of photocopying, non-renewability, etc.
- Textbooks are not borrowed through Interlibrary Loan.
- Audiovisual materials are not loaned through Interlibrary Loan. Request them directly from the Media Library.
- Audio materials are not loaned through Interlibrary Loan.
- Submit Interlibrary loan requests using the ILLiad Interlibrary Loan System.
- The individual borrower is responsible for payment of any loan fees or copying charges. Fees may be charged to departmental or grant accounts. Fees may be assessed for materials that are not picked up by the requestor.
- The individual borrower is responsible for material while it is in his/her possession and agrees to use it in accordance with restrictions set by the lending institution. The borrower agrees to return material on or before the established due date.
Abuse of Interlibrary Loan service will lead to suspension of Interlibrary Loan privileges.
- Approved: 06/19/12
- Revised: 01/12/17
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.