Search FAQs

Currently, the University of North Texas does not specifically mandate the depositing of data in public databases, but it has adopted an Open Access Policy that recognizes the University’s responsibility to the larger society and encourages faculty to make their work publicly available. Some federally-funded grant agencies do require "public access" to both published results and research data.  See the specific funding agency requirements for more information. 

Only service animals are permitted in any of the Libraries facilities. See: Library Use Policy

Works of the U.S. federal government are generally not protected by copyright in the United States and are automatically in the public domain (17USC§ 105); however, there are numerous exceptions and refinements to this rule.

For a detailed explanation of how copyright law is applied to government publications, see Frequently Asked Questions About Copyright: 3.0 U.S.Government Works and 4.0 Works Created Under a Federal Contractor Grant on the CENDI Web site.

Also, be sure you know the difference between copyright infringement and plagiarism.

State and local governments may, and often do, claim copyright in their publications. It is their prerogative to set policies that may allow, require, restrict, or prohibit claim of copyright on some or all works produced by their government units. (See CENDI FAQ 3.1.3)

No. University policy states that patrons must present a valid UNT ID (UNT EUID/Password) to use the general access computer lab workstations in the 24hr Student Computing Center.

Smoking and tobacco products are not permitted in the Libraries. University policy prohibits smoking in all campus buildings and within 20 feet of any entrance to a campus building. See: Library Use Policy

There are some textbooks available for check out at the appropriate Library Services Desk. To determine if your textbook is on reserve go to the course reserve page. 

Any individual may use materials within the guidelines established by the libraries within the appropriate buildings/areas. Materials are checked out only to persons with proper ID. For more information read the Library Use policy.

There are a limited number of locked carrels available on the lower level of Willis Library. Only doctoral students are eligible to reserve these. Fill out the application form online for one of these carrels. 

There are a number of areas available to you for group study in most location.  Please see the study space overview for information about what is available in our different locations.

Each of the Libraries facilities has noise level designations. Please see the Study Spaces Overview.

Yes. There are 13 computer labs in the UNT GACL System, including one at Discovery Park, and 12 across the Denton Campus. For more information on the various labs check out the GACL website.

Unfortunately, due to contract restrictions, alumni do not have access to the library’s electronic resources after separation from the university.

Because we have a small staff in the Archives, we cannot conduct research for others that may be significantly time consuming. We are happy to look for the answer to simple questions about the history of UNT or basic information about the collections in the Archives.

Simple Question Example:  "What year was UNT founded?"

Complex Question Example: "Could you look through the district Court Civil Case Papers, 1849-1900,for Cooke County,and find the one in which my relative was involved?"

Yes. We are happy to include work created by current UNT authors, even if it was completed before they came to UNT. This assists authors by providing one, centralized digital repository where all of the research and scholarship over their career can be archived and preserved.

Cell phones should be turned off or set to a non-audible signal while you are in the Libraries. Cell phones should be used only in designated areas and you should be considerate of others and keep your conversations short and your voice lowered. See: Library Use Policy

Yes. The libraries' courier goes to the Dallas Campus twice a week and will deliver and pick up materials.

Yes, but you will need to get a TexShare card from the UNT Libraries before you go to their library.  To request a TexShare card, please contact Access Services.

Most microform items are non-circulating, but you may check with the first floor Library Services Desk in Willis Library for assistance.

The Archives and Rare Books department employs students in paid and unpaid positions. Open student positions are listed on the UNT student job website, linked here. If you are interested in doing your internship or practicum in Archives and Rare Books contact please contact us directly.

No, an ID may be used only by the person whose name appears on it.

It depends on where the item is located and which library you would like it to be delivered to. Please see the UNT Libraries Online Holds Service for more details.

See Also:

Yes, you may submit your request through your ILLiad account

Bicycles may not be left in any of the Libraries facilities. Use available bicycle racks in front of the buildings. See: Library Use Policy.

Yes. An Author Addendum is a legal instrument that can be added to a publishing agreement in order to allow an author to retain certain rights to their work. The Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) website provides information for authors on securing their rights and provides an Addendum to Publication Agreement that authors can download and include as a supplement to their publishing contract. For questions or more information, e-mail us.

Yes, up until fifteen minutes before the Willis Library Services Desk closes. The contact phone number is (940) 565-2414.

Yes, There are microform readers and a scanner located on the Lower Level of Willis Library and the main floor of Eagle Commons Library. Patrons can scan, save, and print pages from microfilm, microfiche, and microcard.

The Microforms collection and equipment are available when the Libraries are open. Staff assistance is available Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm. 

The 24 Common does offer color printing. Currently enrolled UNT students are subject to the Student Computer Labs fees for color. To check if other lab offer color printing and the current print rate for color printing in SCL’s across campus click the individual lab links on the SCL website.

Reserve items are not eligible for renewal, however, they may be checked out again after waiting an hour.  This is to ensure all patrons in the class have access to the items. 

Yes, the item will be brought to the Library Services Desk and you may view it in the library. You may request it at the Library Services Desk, over the phone, or via email. See:

Yes, you may submit your request through our Online Holds Service. Also, if you are a Distance Learning student you may choose to have items delivered to the UNT Dallas Campus Library. Requests should be entered through your ILLiad account. In your ILLiad user information, select Dallas Campus as your "Delivery Location".

It depends on which space you need. Linked below are the appropriate web pages, forms, and e-mail contacts for our various spaces.

Yes. While it is preferable that books be returned to the library where they were checked out, it is possible to return them to the Dallas Campus Library.

Yes, please refer to the Media Library's Returning Items to the Libraries page for information about drop box locations and guidelines.

To access your library account online, go to Accounts Login and fill in your EUID and Password under UNT Library Catalog Login. Once you login you will be able to request renewal of your items, check the status of holds, view fine totals, and manage preferred searches.

Sure! You may use a digital camera to create images for personal research use. If you want to use images beyond personal use you will need to fill out the Permission for Use form.

The Preservation staff performs preservation work on our collection materials, but we do not generally repair items from the general public. If you would like to contact us, we will be happy to offer you some suggestions or refer you to a list of professional conservators in the area.

Yes, anyone may pay your fine.

TWU Faculty may check out most Library materials after setting up an account at the Library Services Desk on the 1st floor of Willis Library. See the individual circulation policies for information on specific material types, loan periods, and check out limits.

The Preservation Department can bind materials that do not belong to UNT, visit the Binding and Repair page for prices and services of repairing personal items. However, we do limit the number of outside materials we will work on each month. Please visit the Preservation Department website for more information about prices and scheduling an appointment.

Please check the following pages for requesting materials to be delivered.

If you have any additional questions, please contact Access Services Department.

Yes. The Preservation Unit now offers treatment services to the community for a fee. Please contact Jessica Phillips for more information or to set up an appointment.

Yes, we can! See the Request for Reproduction form, available here, for more information.

Sorry, but we are unable to offer monetary appraisals. To arrange an item appraisal you need to contact a professional appraiser.

If you are a student, you can do a limited amount of printing at the Willis 24 Center or one of the Computer Labs in close proximity to a library location.

If you are not a student, the libraries have both pay-for-print solutions, and scanners available in select locations.

Yes, the materials are sent Express Mail and you will need to sign for them.

The UNT Libraries cannot print copies of posters or prints in our collection.

The National Archives and Records Administration sells posters and facsimiles painstakingly reproduced from holdings in the National Archives.

ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) products are available to anyone, including the general public, by using a computer on the UNT campus. Currently-enrolled UNT students, faculty and staff can access ASME products off campus with a UNT EUID and password. (See Tips and Tricks for Using UNT Library Electronic Resources)

To access ASME products from the Libraries home page:

  • Select Databases from the left hand navigation bar.

  • Select A for ASME, then scroll down and select the ASME Journals, or type ASME into the search box.

The ASME Digital Library has direct access to ASME Transaction Journals. 

If for some reason you are not able to access a specific journal within the database or need additional help locating journal articles, please contact Beth Thomsett-Scott directly at 940-369-7200 or by email.

The Discovery Park Library also has the ASME Journals in print. To locate a specific journal, do a journal title search in the UNT Library Catalog.


Yes, please see the floor maps listed here or ask for a floor map at a library service desk.

All researchers are expected to be able to explain and defend their results. Doing so usually entails maintaining complete records of how data were collected. The manner in which one maintains such records and makes them available to others will vary from project to project, and may depend upon funder requirements. Good data management should include supporting documentation and metadata, as well as attention to file naming and data formats, security & privacy protocols, access control, and backup & preservation measures. For more information, see our Data Management libguide

Not necessarily. The expectation is that all data will be made available after a reasonable length of time ( sometimes called an "embargo period"). However, what constitutes a reasonable length of time will be determined by the community of interest or the needs of the project, and may depend up on funder requirements. When you deposit your data into a data repository, you can review your options for setting access controls and embargo periods.  

Yes. The UNT Libraries offers information about research data management as a service for the UNT community. You can also take a look at the UNT Libraries Data Management libguide for more information and training opportunities. 

Please fill out our UNT Libraries Fine Dispute Form. If you have any questions about the form, please contact our Library Services Desk at (940) 565-2414 or visit in person on the 1st floor of Willis Library.

The Media Library sponsors several free film series. To find out about upcoming screenings and events, check our website or our Facebook.

For a complete list of our screenings and events, check our Media Library News & Events page.

By searching the Proquest Dissertations and Theses Database (PQDT) in the UNT Libraries Databases you will have access to full-text of over one million theses and dissertations. If PQDT does not have the item you need, please enter an Interlibrary Loan request.

You have several options:

  1. Students, Faculty & Staff: Request the item through Interlibrary loan.
  2. Students, Faculty & Staff: Apply for a TexShare card and take this card to another institution that participates in the program.
  3. Faculty: Apply for an OCLC Reciprocal Borrowing Cards and take this card to another institution that participates in the program.

Government Documents Department staff members provide assistance when you have questions, need directions, or want advice about finding government, business, geographic, statistical, or legal information.

See Government Documents Reference Services to find out what services we provide and how to obtain services.

You can search the course reserves by course number, instructor, or title.

Historical Manuals

The UNT Libraries Government Documents Department owns hundreds of technical and field manuals published by the War Department and the Navy Department between 1939 and 1947. There are also numerous technical manuals (TMs) and field manuals (FMs) published from 1947 to present.

There are several ways to obtain copies of technical manuals.

The best way to determine if UNT owns the technical manual you are looking for is to search the Library Catalog.

You may be able to obtain a copy through Interlibrary Loan. If you know which manuals you are looking for, submit the request at your local library’s Interlibrary Loan office, and they will try to borrow the manual from a library that owns it.

If you wish to purchase a manual, Military/Info Publishing sells photocopies of technical manuals. Their site is organized by subject and by manual number.

Recent Manuals

More recent military manuals can be purchased through the U.S. Army Publishing Directorate. has posted PDF copies of a number of military manuals and guides. Select the department, then select from a list of titles and categories.

Please contact us if you need further assistance.

Many people look to the government to find out how to apply for a grant or to get "free money," which they have seen advertised on television or in various publications. Grants usually go to state and local governments or nonprofit organizations, which then use the money to operate assistance programs locally. It may be difficult for an individual to qualify for a federal grant., the official Web portal of the United States federal government, has a page explaining government Grants and Loans for individuals, as well as information about legitimate Grant and Loan Opportunities and Contact Information for grant- or benefit-sponsoring agencies.

Our Financial Assistance page provides information on how to learn about and apply for financial assistance from federal, state, and local governmental and private sources.

Our short bibliography of Guides to World War I & II Posters lists books that provide background on World War I and World War II posters. Some of these books are available at UNT, and some may be available at other libraries or through Interlibrary Loan.

More books about posters can be identified by doing a subject search in the Library Catalog with the "Collection" field set as "Government Documents".

Faculty, instructors, adjunct and teaching fellows can place media materials on the reserve shelf for their students to come and watch at the Media Library in Chilton Hall. These items cannot leave the library to ensure that they are available for the students of the specified course. To place media items on reserve, please look into the Placing Items on Reserves page for specific directions.

To schedule media materials for in class usage on certain dates please refer to the instructions on Media Booking & Courier Service page.

E-Books are accessed through the UNT Library Catalog or through Electronic Resources. When you find the item, click on the title and follow the instructions. For more information on E-Books at UNT Libraries, consult  the E-Book Collections Guide

Search the course reserves by course number, instructor, or title. When you find the item you want, click on the title. You will be asked for your EUID, password and the course password. The course password will be given to you by the instructor.

By presenting your valid UNT ID card. For details on checking out library materials please see check out materials

Which password are you thinking of?

UNT Password: Go to and reset your password. It normally takes 5-15 minutes for the new password to take effect. You can log in as a guest at the Libraries' computers to reset your password.

Your Catalog Password: Well, for UNT students, faculty, and staff, this is the same as above.  Visitors will need to contact the Library Services Desk

Interlibrary Loan/Illiad: Go here.

Our Citation and Style Guides Web page provides general guidelines for citing various types of publication, including government documents and legal publications.

Citation Guides and Style Manuals for Government Publications provides guidelines and examples for citing government documents in specific styles; provides guidelines for citing documents from specific government agencies; and provides guidelines on how to prepare certain types of documents for publication. 

DocsCite, a service provided by the Arizona State University Libraries, automatically constructs a citation for you in MLA or APA format, based on information you enter.

Several style manuals are available at the Eagle Commons Library Service Desk.

If you are writing for a class or for publication, your instructor or publisher is always the final authority to consult for determining which style to use as well as for determining the proper format for a specific citation.

In order to avoid last-minute deadline crises, we recommend that you always make a photocopy of the title page, and/or write down the call number of any government publication you use for research projects. Without this information, it is extremely difficult to relocate a document you may need for writing your bibliography.

  • Use the Library Catalog
  • Search for your item by keyword, title, author, or use the advanced search features to limit your query to special material types, or areas within the libraries.
  • Once you've found a potential item note: (a) the location, (b) the call number, and (c) the item's availability.
  • View our extensive help pages in the catalog to learn how to use that system effectively.
  • You may also contact Ask Us or your Subject Librarian for help

When using the Library Catalog:

  • Open the Library Catalog search page.
  • Enter in keywords, title, author, or subject*.
  • Under the "Collection" field select Government Documents. 

*If title is unknown, you can also browse or search electronically scanned documents and archived government websites through the Digital Collections

Detailed information about finding and using legal resources is available in our Law Subject Guide.

LexisNexis Academic provides online access to legal materials for members of the UNT community.

ProQuest Congressional provides online access to congressional, legislative, and regulatory materials for members of the UNT community.

LexisNexis State Capital provides online access to information about state law, legislation, and legislators for members of the UNT community.

The following resources provide access to information about Texas law:

For further assistance with legal research, please visit the Eagle Commons Library Service Desk in Sycamore Hall, or contact the Government Documents Department by E-mail, postal mail, or telephone.

The Government Documents staff are not attorneys or paralegals and are neither authorized nor qualified to practice law. We can help you identify and locate print and online sources and can assist you in using these sources, but we cannot conduct research for you, give you legal advice, or interpret laws or cases for you.

Information about the U.S. Census, including where to find data published by the Census, is available on our Census Subject Guide.

Information about where to find statistical data published by federal, state, local, international, and foreign government agencies, as well as data available from commercial sources, is available on our Statistical Resources web page.

We are located in Sycamore Hall north of the UNT clock tower and facing the Biology Building/Life Sciences Complex.

Labels and pre-paid mailers are supplied to return book to the Libraries at no cost. 

Please see this page on Interlibrary Loan Borrowing for complete details of the process.

Detailed information on locating out-of-print government documents is available on the "How to Obtain United States Government Publications" page. 

Any faculty member can submit an order for materials to be purchased out of the department’s library allocation. The requested titles are purchased if the funds are available. 

In addition, any faculty member can submit a freely-accessible online resource for inclusion in the catalog or other finding aids.


Fines can be paid in person at the Library Services Desk located on the 1st floor of Willis Library, by mail, or by phone at 940-565-2414. For more details, please visit the Paying Fines page.

You may request a renewal of your Interlibrary Loan book through your ILLiad account or by contacting Interlibrary Loan. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library. Renewals may not be requested for overdue materials.

UNT IDs are automatically renewed as long as a student is enrolled or faculty/staff are currently employed. Courtesy Card holders and unenrolled UNT students will need to come to the Library Services Desk on the 1st floor of Willis Library to inquire about renewing library privileges.

Students should use the Room Reservations Scheduling Tool, while faculty and staff must either use this request form or reserve over the phone with Facilities and Systems.

The guest login is the default when you click the "I have read and understand these statement" button. Using software such as Microsoft Office on the computers in the libraries requires that you log in as a student/staff/faculty with your EUID and password. The computer screen will direct you to the log in screen if you are entering a software program with EUID access required. See also the Academic Computing and User Services web page.

Data management planning is primarily about organizing, curating, and preserving research data throughout the course of its useful lifespan (or the "Data Life Cycle"). Open access publishing (making published articles or data freely available) is a separate issue that is not usually required for the data management plan itself. While some federally-funded grants do have a "public access" requirement for research results or data, it is important to carefully review those funder guidelines to determine what types of publications or repositories will meet that requirement.

You submit your items to the repository, most commonly via email, and include as much or as little additional information as you would like. We normalize the file formats for archiving, write a descriptive metadata record for each item, and email you once your items have been uploaded to UNT Scholarly Works. For complete submission information, see the Submissions page.

Books are mailed Express Mail through the U.S. Postal Service. Articles or book chapters may be e-mailed. Books may also be delivered to the UNT Dallas Campus Library or UNT Law Library. See: Distance Learning Requests.​

On March 9, 2011, the UNT Faculty Senate voted to adopt an Open Access Policy which relates specifically to peer-reviewed journal articles. In addition to housing the peer-reviewed journal articles covered under the UNT Open Access Policy, UNT Scholarly Works offers an outlet for scholars to archive and provide access to all of their research and scholarship, including working papers, presentations, academic posters, artwork - the scholarly output of your discipline. Items in UNT Scholarly Works may be made Open Access (available for public use), or restricted to the UNT Community. Optional levels of licensing are also available for all items. For more information on Open Access and the UNT Open Access Policy, visit the Open Access @ UNT website.

UNT Scholarly Works provides a central, digital archive for all of the research and scholarship of our UNT Community. The repository provides the additional benefits of full-text searching, a permanent and stable URL, viewable usage statistics, visibility on all major search engines, wider dissemination and increased citations. Putting items in the Scholarly Works repository collection also gives you flexibility to make copyrighted or embargoed items searchable and discoverable by the UNT community or other researchers while maintaining access restrictions.

Circulation periods are different depending on the user and on the item being borrowed. You may find specific information about loan period for Books and other Regular Circulating Items here. See other loan periods in the circulation policies.

Checkout periods are determined by the lending library but are usually two weeks. Interlibrary Loan books must be returned by the due date or you may be blocked from Library services.

The instructor determines the checkout period for reserve items. The choices given to the instructors are 2 hours, 2 hours building use only, 24 hour, 3 day, and 7 day. Two hour reserve items checked out near closing time will be due before the service desk they were checked out at closes.

Refer to the Borrowing Media chart for checkout periods and fines.

Your requested items, if they are located, should be available within 48 hours (except on weekends and holidays) and will be delivered to the location requested.

That depends upon a number of factors: how long the data remains valid, how frequently new data is collected, how it is used, who all might want to make use of it, and what its historical value might be to future researchers. Each discipline or community of interest may set standards for how long research data should remain accessible. When depositing your data into a data repository, you can discuss with its administrators how long you'd like that data to remain accessible. 

There is no limit, however, in order to process requests in a timely manner, we ask that patrons submit a few requests at a time. 

The Music Library adheres to the library-wide Borrowing Books and Other Regular Circulating Items Policy, but the simple answer is that there is no limit.

It depends on the type of material, the status of your library account, and if there is a hold or recall on the item (Borrowing Books and Other Regular Circulating Items). See: Renew Your Materials.

The fees you pay at the beginning of each semester establish a printing allotment for use in the Student Computer Labs (SCLs) which includes the 24 Commons. Additional funds can be added to your account by going to

There is no charge for the service. Labels and pre-paid mailers are supplied to return books to the Libraries at no cost to the patron.

The staff of the UNT Libraries are neither qualified nor permitted to provide appraisals of works of art.

Our Posters and Prints page provides information on Researching and Evaluating Prints and Posters. It includes a list of Price Guides and a list of Professional Appraisers, some of whom may be able to give you a general idea of what your print or poster may be worth.

An order must be placed by December 15 to be available for the Spring Semester.
All other orders must be in by May 4.

That's a big question.

  1. If you are okay exploring on your own, use the +FIND tab above, to use the Search Tools.  Under "Databases and More" either search for a generic term or subject, or use the tools to select and browse through our large selection of subscription services.
  2. If you are specifically looking for journal articles, use the "Online Articles" search.  You'll get tons of results.
  3. If you are completely overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Use our Ask Us Service, or maybe explore some of our database tutorials.

The Archives and Rare Books department offers extensive reference services to facilitate use of our collections. We are happy to help you locate resources, answer questions and provide limited research service. Staff is not available to fill research requests requiring in-depth research or extensive use of materials.

Yes! Images are free to use for non-profit projects, other uses require a small licensing fee. All uses require you to complete the Permission for Use form.

Maybe! We regularly accept donations to our collections. However, we are unable to accept all items. If you wish to discuss a possible donation we are happy to speak with you.

Here are some Web sites that explain the research necessary to answer your question:

The Goldsheet Obsolete Securities Page

Stocks: Researching the Value of Old Certificates

Collectible Stocks and Bonds

For a list of paper and microfiche sources available at UNT, see Researching Old Stock Certificates in the UNT Libraries 

If the company is no longer traded on any exchange, you will need to do some research to determine the value of the shares and/or redeeming the shares. We can't do the research for you, but here are some suggestions:

First, be sure you have the following information, all of which should be on the certificate:

  • The name of the company

  • The date the shares were issued

  • The state in which the company was incorporated

The most basic question to resolve is whether the company still exists. It might have changed names, been purchased by another company, etc. The first thing you might do is call or write the transfer agent that is listed on the front of the certificate. A transfer agent handles transfers of stock certificates and should be able to advise you on their value.

If the transfer agent no longer exists or cannot help you, you might try to contact the company directly. The stock certificate should show the state where the company was incorporated. Contact the Secretary of State in that state, and ask for the Business Corporations Section. (There are links to several state agency Web sites in the Goldsheet Obsolete Securities Web site listed above.) They should be able to give you a history of the company (when it began, merged, dissolved, went bankrupt, etc.). From there you can contact the existing company (if there is one) to find out the value.

Even if the certificate turns out to be worthless as stock, old certificates can still have considerable value for collectors. The Web sites listed above give sources where you can look up the collector value of an old stock certificate.

Try to absorb all of the moisture by blotting with paper towels. Even if it is a small spill, it is important that the book receive treatment as soon as possible in order to prevent mold growth, page blocking (pages sticking together permanently), and warping. If you can't return the book to the library immediately, stand the book up and fan out the pages so that it can air dry. Bring it to the Willis Library Services Desk as soon as possible; do not put it in the book drop. Do not seal it in a plastic bag, as this can encourage mold growth. You may be charged a fine for damaging the book, but if you bring it to the Library as soon as possible, the Preservation Unit can minimize the damage.

Please contact the Head of the Preservation Department. The Preservation Department staff respectfully requests no unannounced, drop-in visits.

Yes, in most cases. As a U.S. Federal Depository Library and a Texas State Publications Depository Library, we provide reference assistance to the UNT community, to the citizens of the 26th Congressional District of Texas, and to the general public in Denton, in Texas, and throughout the world.

All government publications are available for use in the library building. A picture I.D. (e.g., a driver license or passport) may be required to photocopy certain reserve materials.

Some electronic materials are restricted to UNT students and faculty. Others may need to be installed on our computers before use. We recommend that you call our Service Desk at 940-565-2870 at least 24 hours in advance to find out if the electronic materials you need are available for use.

For information about checking out government publications, please see Borrowing Government Documents

We are currently working on adding several microforms items to the collection. If you unable to locate an item or have questions please contact Access Services Department, Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm.

If the Libraries do not own the book you need, you may request it through Interlibrary Loan.

Yes, in many cases funding agencies require a data management plan, even if you don't expect to generate data. It is acceptable to state in the Data Management Plan that the project is not anticipated to generate data or samples that require management and/or sharing, but you should explain why this is the case. Keep in mind that there are a variety of types of data (beyond numerical datasets) that you might want to manage over the lifespan of the project. 

No, all UNT Libraries are open to the public. However, only individuals with current, approved IDs may check out library materials. See: Library Use Policy

The UNT Libraries do not charge researchers for archiving their research data.  However, if a research project expects to produce more than 1 TB of data, plans to archive it in the UNT Data Repository, and applies for grant funding from an agency that will fund costs related to data management, we ask that you write into the grant a cost of $100 per TB per year for 5 years. 

Generally, there is no limit to the number of regular circulating items that may be checked out. However, Courtesy Card holders are limited to checking out ten items at a time. Also, Library users with a TexShare card issued by a public library are limited to five items at a time. See: Borrowing Books and other Regular Circulating Items

Yes, there is a digital scanner available for visitors to use at no charge. It will scan all formats including microfilm, microfiche, and microcards. It is available when the Libraries are open. It is recommended that you bring a flash drive to save your scans. Materials may be saved in many formats, including PDF, TIFF, JPEG, etc.

Many government documents at UNT may be checked out at the
Eagle Commons Library Service Desk by presenting a current I.D. card that is honored by the UNT Libraries. See the Circulation Policies & Procedures of the UNT Libraries for information about loan periods, checkout limits, renewals, fines, and replacement charges for lost or damaged materials.

If you are not a UNT student, you may be eligible to apply for a UNT Libraries Courtesy Card, which may also be used to check out government documents.

Some government documents are "non-circulating", which means they must be used in the library building, and may not be checked out. Exceptions to this rule are made in special cases, such as student class presentations or faculty research. Please call our Service Desk at 940-565-2870 for more information about "non-circulating" check-outs.

Regarding all government documents digital collections:

1.1 The UNT Libraries cannot grant or deny permission to reproduce these images, as we are not the copyright holders for the original documents.

1.2 Many, but not all, government documents are in the public domain. You may check the original and/or digital versions to check for a copyright symbol and author name(s).

1.3 If you use a digital image from one of our collections, we request that you credit us as a source by including our institution name and the object’s URL. Please do this regardless of whether you publish the image in print or online. For example:

  • [image]

  • University of North Texas Libraries


See our Copyright Information page or our Digital Libraries page for further information.

LexisNexis products are available to anyone, including the general public, using any computer on the UNT campus. Currently enrolled UNT students and UNT faculty and staff can access LexisNexis products off campus with a UNT EUID and password. [See On & Off Campus Access]

To access LexisNexis and ProQuest products from the Libraries home page

  1. Select the "Databases" tab from the "Start Your Research" menu.

  2. Enter "lexisnexis" or "proquest" and click the Search button, or select LexisNexis or ProQuest products from the drop-down menu under "Go Directly to:".

Some products that were formerly owned by LexisNexis have been acquired by ProQuest. The following products are available at UNT:

In most cases, the item can be retrieved immediately or rushed for next-day use.

When an item is deemed a "work made for hire," the employer of a creator is considered to be the author and owner of the work. Works are usually designated as "works made for hire" when:

  • an employee prepares a work within the scope of his or her employment.

  • Or, when an independent contractor signs a written agreement with another person and deems a work a "work made for hire." For the University of North Texas's policy on "works made for hire," see UNT 's Intellectual Property Policy (08.003).

Microforms are materials that contain microreproductions of documents that are commonly reduced to 1/25th of the original document size. This allows a vast amount of information to be stored in a small space. They come in several formats; microfilm which is film printed on a reel, microfiche which is film printed on flat sheets, and microcard which is printed on paper similar to an index card.

Reserves are materials selected by instructors as required or recommended reading for their courses. See:

Our Hours web page provides detailed information about when the Government Documents Service Desk is open.

Contact the Service Desk regarding what services and materials are available during operational hours, and what materials are available during Willis Library hours. 

  • Phone: 940-565-2870
  • Fax: 940-369-876
  • E-mail

If you have forgotten your ILLiad password, please use the "Forgot Password" link on the ILLiad login page to reset your password. You may also contact the Interlibrary Loan Department to obtain a new password.

"Data" may include traditional numerical datasets in a variety of formats, but may also include text files, images, audio or video files, transcripts, field notes, and a variety of other forms of research documentation. See the "What is Data?" section of our Data Management libguide for more examples. Research data is typically distinguished from published results or articles when choosing an appropriate repository for your materials, but UNT Repository Services can link finished articles or reports to their appropriate data files in their respective repositories. 

Try browsing through our subject guides.  These guides are written by librarians whose focus is on serving the needs of various academic units at UNT. To find a guide you can:

  1. Subject Guides:
    Browse the Subject Guides Site, itself, or
    Click on the +FIND tab at the top of this page and on the search box, choose the subject guides tab.  Now, either search for an existing Subject Guide or Class Page or use the dropdown menu to filter guides to your area of interest. 
  2. If you know the name of the database you wish to search, you may go to the Find Databases and E-Journals Site 

Alternative: If you want fast access to a wide variety of sources, use the Online Articles  tab in the +FIND Tab, do a search on your interest area, and use the facets in the results to further limit (or expand) your query to include/exclude various subjects and material types.  If your search is broad enough, the system will suggest specialized databases. You may need to refine your search results further. 

Contact the Library Services Desk. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may have to pay a rebind fee or, if the damage is extensive, you may have to pay the replacement cost of the item. See: Damaged Item Charges

Generally, if you are a UNT faculty, staff or student and are having trouble accessing your account, visit to manage your EUID.

If you are having trouble using your EUID to log into the library catalog to renew books or view course reserve materials, the problem may be your password. Make sure that it does not contain characters such as $, >, or <. For security reasons, the catalog system does not allow these characters. Try changing your password so that it only contains upper-case and lower-case letters, numbers, and underscores.

Please contact the Access Services Department. UNT faculty, staff, and students must also contact the UNT ID Systems Office at 940-565-3225

Library materials may be checked out at any of the Library Services Desks by presenting a current ID card. For UNT students, faculty and staff, your UNT ID is your library card. See: Check Out Materials

The Media Library Call Number & Item Location Guide explains which materials receive which call number.

This message in your library account means that your library registration needs to be updated. Please contact the Access Services Department for assistance. 

Remote Storage is an offsite facility storing library materials. This facility is not open to the public, however, materials may be requested from there using the Online Holds Service . If you need journal articles or book chapters, you may request them through our Document Delivery Service. For long runs of journals request access to the Library Annex Reading Room.

The Science and Technology Library's name was changed to Eagle Commons Library and is located in the same building as always. The building was formerly called the Information Science Building, but is now Sycamore Hall.

If the UNT Libraries do not have an article you need, you may request it through Interlibrary Loan

A course password is needed to access electronic reserves. The instructor of the class determines the password. It is the responsibility of the instructor to give it to members of the class. Libraries' staff are not able to provide the password.

According to the Federal Library Depository Act of 1962, a government document is defined as "informational matter which is published as an individual document at government expense, or as required by law" (44 U.S.C. § 1901).

In general, most publications issued by international, federal, state, or local government agencies are considered government documents. These publications may be produced in a variety of formats, including printed paper, microfiche, and audiovisual materials. In recent years, government information resources have been expanded to include computerized formats such as CD-ROMs, DVDs, and Internet sites.

Approval plans are plans in which a commercial vendor supplies to the library immediately after publication those books which meet specific subject parameters. They are a quick, simple, and economical method for acquiring a core of current trade and scholarly materials in selected subject areas. The approval books come ready to be shelved.

ILLiad is an Interlibrary Loan program patrons may use to request books, microforms, articles, and other items from institutions other than the UNT Libraries. ILLiad is available to all UNT faculty, students, and staff. To use this service you must register for an account.

Interlibrary Loan, or ILL, is a service, which provides access to the collections of libraries throughout the world for research purposes. If UNT does not own a book or journal article you need, you may request it though Interlibrary Loan.

Graduate students and faculty members may request that long runs of periodicals or large series of volumes be pulled and placed in the Library Annex Reading Room for examination. Please contact the Willis Library Services Desk at (940) 565-2413 or e-mail Access Services to request use of the Annex Reading Room.

The Online Holds Service is a service the library provides for the delivery of items housed in our libraries. Information regarding this service is available at the Online Holds Service page.

UNT Scholarly Works serves as the UNT Open Access institutional repository. This repository is a special collection housed in the UNT Digital Library. The Scholarly Works repository collection brings together the research and scholarly work of the UNT community. Find out more about UNT Scholarly Works here.

We accept a variety of research and scholarly work including articles (example article), academic posters (example poster), presentations (example presentation), book reviews (example review), book chapters (example chapter), reports (example report), and artwork (example artwork). UNT Scholarly Works serves to showcase all of the valuable research and scholarly output of our university community.

Right now, we are not accepting general student work from class assignments and course-related projects.

The Media Library provides reference services during hours when the Media Library is open at the Service Desk or by phone. For more extensive research needs, schedule a reference appointment with a media librarian. See: Media Reference Services

The Distance Learning page provides information specific to this status and a checklist with eligibility guidelines for this service. You may request items we own, by using your ILLiad account. When you register for an ILLiad account, choose status "Dist Learning". 

Wireless access is provided through the University's CITC department and is generally available in all campus buildings as well as the Library Mall to UNT students, faculty, and staff.

The Libraries have several scanners available.  See: Photocopies, Scanning, Printing

The original World War I and II posters that were digitized by the UNT Libraries are on reserve in the Government Documents Department on the 3rd floor of Willis Library. These items are located in a locked room and are non-circulating, so if you would like to view them, please visit our Service Desk in person or Contact Us to schedule an appointment.

Our regular circulating books are located in the Mezzanine, which is up any flight of stairs, and in the adjoining room on the Main Floor. See: Call Number & Item Location Guide: Eagle Commons

Try this set of tutorials: Citations & Style Guides.  It offers guidance on using a number of different style guides, provides examples and help in citating special materials, using citation management software, and provides links to materials in our collections, and on the web that may be helpful to you.

Tax forms and publications can be obtained online at or ordered over the telephone by calling 1-800-829-3676.

For direct access to U.S. federal tax forms and publications, visit the IRS Forms and Publications page. At this site, you can scroll through a list of current IRS publications, select the document you need, and print it.

Many of the most popular tax forms, instructions, and publications are available to the public free of charge at the Denton Public Library and at the downtown post office at 101 E. McKinney St.

Our Taxes Subject Guide is a detailed guide to U.S. federal and state tax resources, including printable IRS forms and publications.

Need help filing your tax form?

Several programs provide free assistance with filling out and filing U.S. income tax forms:

  • United Way's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) members are available at the Denton Public Library at selected times during the weeks before April 15 to help you fill out your forms and answer tax related questions.

  • The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to people who earn less than $42,000.

  • The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program offers free tax help to taxpayers who are 60 and older.

  • The military also has a strong Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. The Armed Forces Tax Council (AFTC) consists of the tax program coordinators for the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.

Call 1-800-829-1040 to find the VITA/TCE location and hours nearest your home and to see if you qualify for any of these programs.

Please do not ask librarians tax law questions. They are not tax law specialists. Instead, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for tax information.

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard. NARA has compiled an extensive page on Military and Veterans Records at the National Archives, which gives detailed information on how to acquire military records from the U.S. Government.

For more information on researching military records visit the Military Records section of the National Archives website. 

Many posters from the UNT Government Documents collection have been digitized and made available through the UNT Digital Library World War Poster Collection.

See our World War I and II Posters page for a list of other Web sites that provide images of World War posters. See our Posters and Prints page for a list of Web sites that have posters on a variety of topics.

The UNT Libraries cannot print copies of posters or prints in our collection. Our Posters and Prints page includes suggestions for where to purchase posters and prints.

Three study areas, located to the left of the reserves and reference book stacks, have big tables available for group work. Solo work is welcome. Each area is equipped with a dry-erase whiteboard, and table and chairs for a group of seven.

Additionally, the Learning Center, B135, is designated a quiet area and is reserved for individual study unless the room is scheduled for library instruction. Quiet conversations are appropriate for the main areas of the library including the Internet tables, the casual seating near the main door, and the service desk area.

Interlibrary Loan books may be picked up at the Library Services Desk located on the 1st floor of the Willis Library. You may also arrange to pick up books at the Discovery Park Library Room B112, the UNT Dallas Campus Library and the UNT Law Library. Faculty may request to receive ILL books in their department offices. 

See: Returning Items to the Libraries.

(Reserve items should be returned to the service desk they were checked out at.)

There is one copy machine in the Discovery Park Library. It is located by the service desk and requires your euid and password to log in. 

In Willis Library, lost and found is located at the 1st floor 24 Center Desk.

Research and Instructional Services has split into two departments, Library Learning Services (LLS) and Library Research Support Services (LRSS). Offices are located on the 1st floor of Willis Library. View the Subject Librarians page for whom you can contact for subject or major specific questions, advanced research help or one-on-one research appointments. You can also consult our Ask Us services during business hours for research help and library questions.

UNT faculty and staff are invited to submit their work. UNT students are welcome to submit items that represent professional work including conference materials, published items, or work associated with theses or dissertations.

UNT Scholarly Works is, by default, openly accessible to a worldwide audience. While we do offer options to restrict access to certain materials, we do not encourage it. The goal of UNT Scholarly Works is to provide access to the research and scholarship of our UNT Community to anyone on the World Wide Web with an internet connection.

The following students are eligible for distance learning services:

  • Students currently enrolled in courses taught primarily online and who live outside of Denton County.
  • Students taking courses at the UNT Dallas Campus or UNT Dallas College of Law.

See: Distance Learning Requests

Yes. Fines for reserve items are higher than other regular circulating items.

Overdue notices are sent to your UNT email address when items are 10 days and 30 days overdue. Courtesy notices are sent by email 3 days before items are due. See: General Information about Fines Assessment