The Scholarly Open Access E-journal Support service will provide hosting and consultation support to the UNT departments and faculty who are interested in producing their own online open access scholarly journal.
There are many activities involved in starting and publishing an online scholarly journal. As the content distributors, the UNT Libraries are dedicated to providing support to host and preserve online journal output. Furthermore, the publication coordinator and the scholarly communication librarian at UNT Libraries will offer assistance and guidance to the journal creator(s)/editors(s) throughout the entire journal production process.
Why publish with the UNT Libraries?
To broaden the support of scholarly communication and to promote the advancement of UNT research output, the UNT Libraries will begin providing the following initial and ongoing e-journal support services:
- E-journal start-up consultation
- Existing journal migration to e-journal consultation
- Consultation on copyright and intellectual property
- ISSN Registration
- Assignation of Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs)
- E-journal system installation for online article submission, review, and publishing
- E-journal publication branding design and development
- Usage statistics
- E-Journal discoverability enhancement
- Archiving and preservation
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all UNT academic entities and faculty.
- Initial e-journal setup and project management : $1500
- Post-launch yearly hosting and maintenance: $1000/yr
- E-journal start-up consultation, migration to e-journal consultation, or copyright consultation: Free
The UNT Libraries reserve the right to waive fees on an individual basis at the discretion of either the Dean or Associate Dean of the UNT Libraries.
The UNT Libraries use Open Journal Systems (OJS), open source software, as the default platform for managing and publishing e-journals.
The choice of e-journal installation and customization options will be discussed in detail during the project planning phase. The following help guides and documentation will be provided at this time:
- A Guide for Starting a Scholarly Open Access E-journal
- E-journal Project Starter Toolkit
- E-journal Support Service Memorandum of Understanding
- Standard Author Copyright Agreement template
- Publishing with OJS - A Quick Reference Guide for E-journal Editors/Managers
The UNT Libraries recommend that the start-up of any new e-journal is discussed and communicated thoroughly to ensure the sustainability of the journal project.
Are you interested in having the UNT Libraries host your e-journal?
Please request a project consultation with us.
Do you have questions about this service?
Please contact our e-journal publication coordinator: