Services for Persons with Disabilities
UNT Libraries strive to maintain reasonable accommodations for users with disabilities. Any library user with a disability that will require additional accommodations regarding software or equipment must present a written request to one of the following persons:
Assistant Dean, UNT Libraries
Willis Library 254, (940) 565-3269
Director, Office of Disability Accommodation
University Union 321, (940) 565-2199
Policies & Procedures
- The UNT Libraries Disability Accommodation Policy is available online.
- Please also see the UNT Disability Accommodation Policy for Students and Academic Units (18.1.14).
- University of North Texas AA/EOE/ADA Information.
- As per Library Use Policies, trained service animals are the only animals permitted in the Libraries.
The UNT Libraries recommend that students register with the Office of Disability Accommodation, University Union 321, (940) 565-4323.
- There are accessible tables, carrels, and computers available on each floor of Willis Library and on the main floors of the Eagle Commons Library, Media Library, and Discovery Park Library.
- Media Library viewing carrels are wheelchair accessible and a private viewing room is available for patrons with special viewing needs.
- Reference by Appointment: This service is available to those needing in-depth reference assistance. Please inform the staff of your special needs, so they can better accommodate you.
- E-Mail Reference: - E-mail form for submitting questions to reference staff.
- Ask Us: Reference Services at the UNT Libraries.
Users with disabilities that prevent them from retrieving library materials may request at a service desk that materials be pulled for them.
The request for assistance may be made in person, by phone, or by e-mail. Government Documents can make arrangements for community members not affiliated with UNT to use electronic government information products in the Adaptive Computer Lab or other approved facilities.
The following accessible items are available through the Media Library
Access Services (Circulation & ILL)
- Circulating Items may be renewed through the UNT Library Catalog.
- Circulation also offers material delivery and distance learning services.
- Call the Help Desk at (940) 565-3024 for assistance.
Facilities and Systems supports all the computers in the Libraries, including those with special software to assist patrons with disabilities. All public computers have the following software installed:
- JAWS 13 | JAWS PDF Quickstart Guide
- MAGic 11 | MAGic PDF User's Guide
- Windows integrated adaptive software.
TOPAZ Desktop Magnifier
The TOPAZ Desktop Magnifier is located on the first floor of Willis Library, near the image depot. The TOPAZ Desktop Video Magnifier makes seeing printed type, pictures, handwriting and small details easier. Just place a letter or picture on the moveable reading table, and adjust the magnification level and the display colors to work best for your eyesight. The document displays in large size on the screen.
The Kurzweil 3000 is located in the Image Depot on 1st floor, Willis Library.
The UNT 24 Center strive to maintain reasonable accommodations for patrons with disabilities. In an effort to best meet the computing needs of patrons with adaptive requests UNT created an adaptive lab. The Academic Computing Services (ACS) General Access Lab is designed specifically to meet the needs of disabled or adaptive needs patrons. The ACS Adaptive Lab is located in Sycamore Hall, Room 104.
Additionally, the Willis lab strives to provide reasonable accommodations for patrons with disabilities. Every workstation in the computer lab has the Windows Accessibility Wizard configured for student use.
Any student with a disability that will require additional accommodations must present a written accommodation request to:
24hr Student Computing Center @ the Library: a member of the General Access Computer Lab System
or to Cathy Hartman or Ron Venable, listed above.