Thank you for your interest in working in the Willis 24hr General Access Computer Lab. Opening are posted through the Career Center.
- This position works with a large, diverse patron base.
- This position operates in a fluid, fast paced, potentially (and at times definitely) high pressure situation/s.
- This position works directly with UNT community members.
- This position operates throughout the day and night.
- This position functions in a team-based atmosphere.
- Lab employees must be able to cover the 24/7 hours of operations.
- Lab employees work a fixed schedule per semester.
- Lab employees work 20 hours a week.
- Standard shifts are 4 hours each starting on the odd hours.
- Lab employees can work during University breaks and holidays.
- Lab employees must be able to attend mandatory trainings/meetings each semester of employment.
- Basic hardware/software troubleshooting with problems ranging from mundane application questions to first-line troubleshooting on lab equipment.
- Assist and train patrons on how to use lab machines and software applications, both Mac OS and Windows.
Monitor the usage and care of the lab facility
- Access control, using approved University criteria
- Policy maintenance and enforcement
- Maintain a positive, healthy, clean, quiet, lab environment conducive to a non-distracting academic setting
- Administrative tasks, effective reporting, and appropriate documentation
- Phone skills including answering, transferring and responding verbally to inquiries
- Run errands and other duties as assigned.
- Lab employees should be physically able to lift 10-40 lbs., repeatedly.
- Type of Work
Working knowledge of
- Dual-boot systems
- Apple iMac Intel hardware and peripherals
- Experience in the use of Windows 7and Mac OS 10.6
Experience in the use of and services offered by
- Willis 24 Hour General Access Computer Lab
- UNT General Access Computer Lab System
- UNT Libraries
- UNT Computing Center
- UNT Online classroom delivery system (Blackboard)
- UNT student resources (my.unt.edu, EagleConnect, SkyDrive, etc.)
- Working knowledge of UNT campus is helpful
Proficient in the use of
- The latest Microsoft Office Suite for both Mac OS and Windows
- Internet browsing applications including Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer
- Experience in the use of software suites such as
- Adobe Design Premium
- SAS and SPSS (statistical packages)
Must have good command of
- Language skills, be easily understood when answering phones and greeting incoming patrons
- Organizational skills
- Team-oriented interactions (be a team player)
- Effective public relations
- Must be
- Adamant in both following and enforcing policies and procedures
- Honest and truthful in interactions with patrons, coworkers, and management
- Punctual and dependable; demonstrating strong time management skills
- Professional and strive for excellence in all realms of responsibility
Successful candidates for CSR positions are
- Be a current UNT student
- Exhibit a positive, service oriented attitude
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility and integrity
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Take initiative in self-instruction
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Endorse a commitment to the mission and goals of the Willis lab
- Preferred to
- Be an adept technical troubleshooter
- Possess strong deductive reasoning
- Be flexible and have a supportive nature
- Be an effective mediator or have mediation experience
- Have the capacity to assimilate new ideas and processes in a timely manner
- Show resilience under pressure
- Retain conflict resolution skills including ability to diffuse situations of high tension
- Possess aptitude to integrate critiques in a constructive manner while not dependent on constant performance feedback