Input Guidelines for Descriptive Metadata
These are the current UNT Libraries' guidelines for creating metadata, broken down by individual fields. They are based on a modified Dublin Core structure, but include more specific local instructions and precedents that wider standards do not address.
Each of the input guideline pages is divided into the following sections:
- Element Name: Name of element that is used in the public display.
- Definition: A brief statement that represents or defines the element.
- Where Can the [Element] Information be Found?: Where to find the information for the field.
- How [Element] Works in the Metadata Form: The kinds of fields in the element and whether or not the element repeats.
- How Should the [Element] be Filled in?: Detailed usage notes, explanations, and clarifications of exceptions that facilitate understanding and practical application of the element.
- Other Examples: Sample values for the field.
- Comments: Additional information about the element, including intended use or how values may be obtained.
- Resources: Links to relevant vocabularies or tools that may be useful for the particular field.
Metadata Input Guidelines: