What is It?
Managing research data is an integral part of the research process. Data management is the systematic organization and planning for data throughout the research cycle which includes:
- Collecting and processing data
- Analyzing data and publishing research results
- Planning for long-term access and storage
How Can it Help You?
Data management throughout the data life-cycle will not only help save you time, but it will help you:
- Increase the impact of your research with data citation
- Clearly document and provide evidence for your research in conjunction with published results
- Comply with any copyright, access, and ethical considerations required for the data you create or use (such as HIPAA or FERPA)
- Preserve data for long-term access and safeguard your investment from loss
- Describe and share data with others to further new discoveries and research
Where do I begin?
To learn more about Data Management and find resources on developing a data management plan, see our Data Management Guide.